PLAISTOW, N.H. (AP) – A fugitive couple arrested at a Florida theme park and arraigned in New Hampshire on charges in the beating and burning of the woman’s 3-year-old son had high bail amounts set Monday.
Separate video arraignments were held for the two in court in Plaistow, a town of about 8,000 residents on the Massachusetts state line.
The boy’s mother, Jessica Linscott, 23, was ordered held on $100,000 bail. She appeared to wipe tears from her eyes after the charges were read. Her boyfriend, Roland Dow, 27, was ordered held on $500,000 bail.
Both have been ordered not to have contact with each other or with the child, who is still hospitalized and recovering from brain injury, seizures and burns to his wrist and fingers.
Linscott asked for a lawyer; Dow had a lawyer present. The couple had said the boy’s injuries were self-inflicted and submitted videos to support that.
“The hospital staff had a chance to evaluate those videos,” prosecutor Michael Zaino said. “They found them completely inconsistent with these injuries.”
Zaino said the child’s body was covered with bruises. “One of the bruises seems to stretch from his rib cage, the middle of his back, all the way across and around his rib cage,” he said.
Linscott and Dow were arrested last week by federal marshals at Universal Studios in Orlando following two weeks on the run. They were jailed in New Hampshire on Saturday.
Zaino said the two had agreed to turn themselves in to police on Nov. 19, but instead hid in Haverhill, Mass. From there, they went to Boston, where they took a bus to New York, and then a train to Florida.
Dow is charged with first- and second-degree assault. He and Linscott face multiple charges of child endangerment. The boy is in state custody.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon