WARRENTON, Ore. (AP) – Testimony in a second round of hearings into a fishing vessel that sank off the Washington coast, killing four people, has raised the possibility that the boat got tangled in crab pot lines.
The Lady Cecilia sank quickly March 10 about 20 miles west of Leadbetter Point. The four people onboard could neither escape nor send a distress signal.
The Daily Astorian reports (
http://bit.ly/Tkke1I) a marine construction and salvage company owner testified this week in Warrenton, Ore., that the 70-foot trawler may have gotten tangled in some errant crab pot lines, listing one way and then capsizing the other when a stabilizing device snapped off.
The Lady Cecilia was found in September in more than 300 feet of water and was examined using a remote-controlled sub.
A U.S. Coast Guard investigator says this week’s hearings ended the public part of the probe, and a report may be made public by next summer.
Information from: The Daily Astorian,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever