CARLISLE, Pa. (AP) – A small explosion and fire Wednesday in a central Pennsylvania eighth-grade science classroom required hospital treatment for seven students and a teacher.
Carlisle Area School District Superintendent John Friend told reporters that a fireball occurred when some sort of chemicals were mixed together. He said that the teacher put out the fire with an extinguisher, WHTM-TV reported.
Cumberland County public safety spokeswoman Meg Silverstrim said two of the injured children were taken by helicopter from Wilson Middle School in Carlisle to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.
Officials at Johns Hopkins said they could not provide information without the patients’ names, which were not released.
A Carlisle Regional Medical Center spokeswoman said five students and a teacher were treated for what she described as minor injuries, and all six had been released by midafternoon.
The school continued with its regular day, Silverstrim said.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets