CARLISLE, Pa. (AP) – A small explosion and fire Wednesday in a central Pennsylvania eighth-grade science classroom required hospital treatment for seven students and a teacher.
Carlisle Area School District Superintendent John Friend told reporters that a fireball occurred when some sort of chemicals were mixed together. He said that the teacher put out the fire with an extinguisher, WHTM-TV reported.
Cumberland County public safety spokeswoman Meg Silverstrim said two of the injured children were taken by helicopter from Wilson Middle School in Carlisle to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.
Officials at Johns Hopkins said they could not provide information without the patients’ names, which were not released.
A Carlisle Regional Medical Center spokeswoman said five students and a teacher were treated for what she described as minor injuries, and all six had been released by midafternoon.
The school continued with its regular day, Silverstrim said.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns