CASTLE ROCK, Colo. (AP) – A Colorado mother was convicted Tuesday of murdering her two children in a crime prosecutors said was revenge against her husband over their divorce.
Kelli Lynn Murphy, 43, of Castle Rock was found guilty of two counts each of first-degree murder after deliberation, and first-degree murder of a victim under 12 by a person in a position of trust.
The jury verdict came on the same day her son would have turned 11. A judge immediately sentenced Murphy to two life sentences without parole.
Prosecutors said Murphy smothered her 6-year-old daughter Madigan and 9-year-old son Liam in May 2011 as revenge against her husband after the couple filed for divorce. They said she was adamant about retaining sole custody of the children.
Murphy’s lawyer Ara Ohanion wanted jurors to consider lesser charges, claiming her client had intended to kill herself and blacked out after drinking vodka and taking pills. Murphy woke up to find her children dead and doesn’t remember what happened, Ohanion said.
Police went to Murphy’s home after she told a 911 dispatcher she was going to commit suicide and that her children were in heaven.
The children’s family released a written statement thanking prosecutors, investigators, supporters and jurors.
“Although nothing can make up for the loss of Liam and Madigan or fill the void that is left by their absence, we are thankful that this chapter is now over, and we look to God to help lighten our hearts,” the family said.
Information from: The Denver Post,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona