CASTLE ROCK, Colo. (AP) – A Colorado mother was convicted Tuesday of murdering her two children in a crime prosecutors said was revenge against her husband over their divorce.
Kelli Lynn Murphy, 43, of Castle Rock was found guilty of two counts each of first-degree murder after deliberation, and first-degree murder of a victim under 12 by a person in a position of trust.
The jury verdict came on the same day her son would have turned 11. A judge immediately sentenced Murphy to two life sentences without parole.
Prosecutors said Murphy smothered her 6-year-old daughter Madigan and 9-year-old son Liam in May 2011 as revenge against her husband after the couple filed for divorce. They said she was adamant about retaining sole custody of the children.
Murphy’s lawyer Ara Ohanion wanted jurors to consider lesser charges, claiming her client had intended to kill herself and blacked out after drinking vodka and taking pills. Murphy woke up to find her children dead and doesn’t remember what happened, Ohanion said.
Police went to Murphy’s home after she told a 911 dispatcher she was going to commit suicide and that her children were in heaven.
The children’s family released a written statement thanking prosecutors, investigators, supporters and jurors.
“Although nothing can make up for the loss of Liam and Madigan or fill the void that is left by their absence, we are thankful that this chapter is now over, and we look to God to help lighten our hearts,” the family said.
Information from: The Denver Post,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon