CASTLE ROCK, Colo. (AP) – A Colorado mother was convicted Tuesday of murdering her two children in a crime prosecutors said was revenge against her husband over their divorce.
Kelli Lynn Murphy, 43, of Castle Rock was found guilty of two counts each of first-degree murder after deliberation, and first-degree murder of a victim under 12 by a person in a position of trust.
The jury verdict came on the same day her son would have turned 11. A judge immediately sentenced Murphy to two life sentences without parole.
Prosecutors said Murphy smothered her 6-year-old daughter Madigan and 9-year-old son Liam in May 2011 as revenge against her husband after the couple filed for divorce. They said she was adamant about retaining sole custody of the children.
Murphy’s lawyer Ara Ohanion wanted jurors to consider lesser charges, claiming her client had intended to kill herself and blacked out after drinking vodka and taking pills. Murphy woke up to find her children dead and doesn’t remember what happened, Ohanion said.
Police went to Murphy’s home after she told a 911 dispatcher she was going to commit suicide and that her children were in heaven.
The children’s family released a written statement thanking prosecutors, investigators, supporters and jurors.
“Although nothing can make up for the loss of Liam and Madigan or fill the void that is left by their absence, we are thankful that this chapter is now over, and we look to God to help lighten our hearts,” the family said.
Information from: The Denver Post,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier