REPUBLIC, Ohio (AP) – A fast-moving fire leveled a 130-year-old farmhouse overnight on Tuesday, killing five people believed to be from the same family.
Authorities said they believe the victims were three young children who lived at the home along with two adults.
“We assume those are the ones recovered,” said Dean Henry, a spokesman for several volunteer fire departments that responded.
It will be up to a coroner to identify the victims.
A truck driver spotted smoke coming from the house, in rural northwest Ohio, just after 3 a.m. Tuesday and called 911, Henry said. The two-story house was fully engulfed in flames when the first firefighters arrived, he said.
The wood-frame home, which sat outside the village of Republic, about 50 miles southeast of Toledo, is fairly isolated and surrounded by farm fields. The nearest house is about a quarter-mile away.
Firefighters and investigators spent much of Tuesday looking through the debris for the victims and clues to what caused the fire. The last two victims were found by mid-afternoon.
The family bought the home in 2004, according to county auditor records that said the house was built in 1880.
It’s unclear how the victims were related. One of the three children, ages 6, 8 and 12, has a different last name than the other four.
Investigators from the state fire marshal’s office were looking into the cause of the fire.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever