EUREKA, Calif. (AP) – A Northern California woman drowned after she was swept out to sea by a large wave in the third such tragedy in the region this season, authorities said.
Humboldt County Coroner David Parris on Monday identified the victim as Susan Archer, 32, of Shelter Cove, about 90 miles south of Eureka.
Archer was walking on a rocky beach near her home with her boyfriend and dog Sunday when the wave pulled her into the ocean, Parris said. Her body was brought to shore after a roughly 45-minute search by boat and helicopter. Attempts to revive her with CPR didn’t work, he said.
Archer’s boyfriend was hurt when he was thrown against the shoreline rocks, but he was not swept up by the wave, officials said. Her dog was pulled into the water but was able to swim back to shore.
Authorities are warning beach-goers to stay away from the water’s edge and watch out for “sneaker waves” that can suddenly roar ashore.
“The entire shoreline of Northern California is very dangerous at this time of year,” Parris said. “These waves can sneak up on you so quickly that you don’t have the ability to swim or recover.”
The tragedy is the region’s third such mishap in the past few months.
On New Year’s Day, a man and his wife were walking on the beach near Point Reyes when a wave overtook their dog. The couple went into the water to rescue the dog and the man was swept away. His wife and dog made it safely to shore.
In November, a couple drowned and their 16-year-old son disappeared while trying to save their dog at a beach near Arcata. The dog was chasing a thrown stick when it got pulled into the ocean by 8- to 10-foot waves.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier