SAN DIEGO (AP) – A woman suspected of having links to the family of Mexico’s most wanted drug lord has been arrested in California on immigration charges, a Border Patrol spokesman said Friday.
Zulema Aracely Lindoro was stopped Monday at a Border Patrol checkpoint in San Clemente, south of Los Angeles, spokesman Paul Carr said,
A fingerprint check verified that her student visa was revoked in March for suspected ties to the family of Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, authorities said.
Lindoro is identified in Border Patrol documents as a spouse of Guzman’s son, Ivan Archivaldo Guzman Salazar, though it was unclear if the couple is or ever was legally married.
Carr said there was no evidence to suggest Lindoro was involved in the drug trade.
Lindoro, who was born in 1990, did not acknowledge any family connection after the arrest.
Lindoro was released Tuesday on humanitarian grounds to care for her infant son and ordered to appear before an immigration judge, Carr said. She returned to Tijuana, Mexico, voluntarily on Thursday, he said.
In May, the U.S. Treasury Department imposed financial sanctions on Ivan Archivaldo Guzman Salazar, saying he was involved in his father’s cartel.
Joanne Moore, a State Department spokeswoman, said Friday that she had no information on the arrest or possible ties to the Guzman family.
Lindoro was a passenger in a car with the infant, Carr said. The spokesman didn’t know the name of the driver, who was a U.S. citizen.
The Sinaloa cartel, named after the Pacific coast state of the same name, controls trafficking along much of the U.S. border with Mexico.
Last month, a woman described by U.S. officials as a daughter of Joaquin Guzman was arrested on immigration charges at San Diego’s San Ysidro port of entry on suspicion of attempting to enter the U.S. on someone else’s visa.
At the time, U.S. officials said 31-year-old Alejandra Gisselle Guzman Salazar told them Guzman was her father and that she was six months pregnant. She has pleaded not guilty.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food