NEW YORK (AP) – Officials say a fire at a storm-damaged office skyscraper in New York City’s Financial District has left more than two dozen people with smoke inhalation, including a firefighter. Four people have been taken to a hospital.
The fire department says it’s not yet clear what caused Friday’s fire. Its tenants include Standard & Poor’s and the city Department of Transportation.
In all, 27 people were injured. The firefighter and most others were treated at the scene.
The building’s website says it remains without power after Superstorm Sandy. Utilities have largely restored electricity citywide, but some buildings’ own equipment was so damaged they’re still without power.
The 40-year-old tower on the East River is one of the nation’s biggest privately owned office buildings, with 3.8 million square feet of indoor space.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick