MINEOLA, N.Y. (AP) – Federal officials say they’ve finally found a contractor to clear tons of Superstorm Sandy debris from New York’s Fire Island before an endangered bird species makes removal more complicated.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers says it has awarded a $10.1 million contract to Environmental Chemical Company of Burlingame, Calif.
Officials face a deadline to have the estimated 9,650 tons of debris cleared by the end of March.
After that, truck access to beaches will be restricted to protect nesting areas for the endangered piping plover. The Army Corps says it expects to meet the deadline.
Officials have struggled to find a contractor for the job. ECC is the fifth company named after deals with previous companies were challenged.
A Fire Island Association official says residents have their fingers crossed.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food