WHEATON, Mo. (AP) – Five people including a 7-year-old child died after a fire broke out at an apartment building in southwest Missouri, authorities said.
Bob Lombard, chief of the Wheaton Fire Department, told The Associated Press the fire was reported about 3:20 a.m. Thursday. Fire crews arrived at the apartment within minutes of getting the call and found the victims in two separate units at the building. The fire was fully involved when firefighters arrived from the fire station located a few blocks away, Lombard said.
“We lost five people,” Lombard said. Two adults and the child were found in one apartment and the two other adults were found in a nearby apartment in the building, which is one of two eight-unit buildings in the apartment complex, he said.
The second building wasn’t affected, but residents were evacuated as a precaution, Lombard said.
The victims’ identities hadn’t been released, and the cause of the fire was under investigation, he said.
Wheaton is located about 70 miles southwest of Springfield and has about 700 residents.
The Red Cross of Southern Missouri said it was providing 16 people with emergency lodging, food and clothing. It has opened five cases for financial assistance.
Red Cross spokesman Nigel Holderby told the Joplin Globe that volunteers had helped place the families.
“We had volunteers on the scene this morning to find a place for each of them,” Holderby said. “All 16 people are in hotels with monetary assistance in addition to food and clothing. Today, of all days, the community wrapped their arms around these families.”
Information from: Springfield News-Leader,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development