WHEATON, Mo. (AP) – Five people including a 7-year-old child died after a fire broke out at an apartment building in southwest Missouri, authorities said.
Bob Lombard, chief of the Wheaton Fire Department, told The Associated Press the fire was reported about 3:20 a.m. Thursday. Fire crews arrived at the apartment within minutes of getting the call and found the victims in two separate units at the building. The fire was fully involved when firefighters arrived from the fire station located a few blocks away, Lombard said.
“We lost five people,” Lombard said. Two adults and the child were found in one apartment and the two other adults were found in a nearby apartment in the building, which is one of two eight-unit buildings in the apartment complex, he said.
The second building wasn’t affected, but residents were evacuated as a precaution, Lombard said.
The victims’ identities hadn’t been released, and the cause of the fire was under investigation, he said.
Wheaton is located about 70 miles southwest of Springfield and has about 700 residents.
The Red Cross of Southern Missouri said it was providing 16 people with emergency lodging, food and clothing. It has opened five cases for financial assistance.
Red Cross spokesman Nigel Holderby told the Joplin Globe that volunteers had helped place the families.
“We had volunteers on the scene this morning to find a place for each of them,” Holderby said. “All 16 people are in hotels with monetary assistance in addition to food and clothing. Today, of all days, the community wrapped their arms around these families.”
Information from: Springfield News-Leader,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl