BEAUMONT, Texas (AP) – The children of a Houston-area couple killed during Thursday’s massive interstate wreck in Texas say this year was the family’s first Thanksgiving apart.
Authorities are investigating the chain-reaction wreck that involved more than 100 vehicles, many of which were left twisted on top of each other. The wreck killed the couple and injured at least 80 other people during heavy fog along Interstate 10 near Beaumont.
Twelve people remain hospitalized in serious condition, the Texas Department of Public Safety said in a statement Friday.
Vincent and Debbie Leggio were on their way to Louisiana for a gambling trip when their vehicle was caught in the wreck, sons V.J. and Richard Leggio told KHOU-TV.
“My parents are wonderful loving people _ all who knew them knew that,” V.J. Leggio told the station. “They will be sorely missed _ sorely missed.”
He said he worked with his father at the family business, Vinco Electric in Pearland, the Houston suburb where his parents lived.
“We had a good relationship,” he added. “We got to spend time together golfing and fishing, and I’m so thankful for that now.”
The wreck occurred southwest of Beaumont, on Texas’ Gulf Coast. The heavy fog made it hard for law enforcement to determine at first how many wrecks had occurred.
According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, a crash on the eastbound side of the highway led to other accidents in a dangerous chain reaction. There were multiple crashes on the other side of the highway as well.
Texas Department of Public Safety Sgt. Chuck Havard told KFDM-TV on Friday that investigators will work to determine whether any drivers will face charges.
Phone messages left Friday by The Associated Press for law enforcement officials weren’t returned.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick