YORK, Pa. (AP) – Nearly 50 female inmates at a central Pennsylvania prison have been treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.
A statement from York County says five inmates remained hospitalized as of Thursday morning. The remaining 44 have been returned to the York County Prison.
The women fell ill Wednesday evening in a prison dormitory.
Officials say a preliminary investigation indicates the deadly odorless and colorless gas may have come from the heating, ventilation and air conditioning system.
That system has been shut down. The county’s statement says carbon monoxide levels have returned to normal.
About 215 women are incarcerated at the facility, 85 miles west of Philadelphia.
Prisoners living in the affected unit have been relocated to other areas in the facility.
Warden Mary Sabol tells the York Daily Record she and the prison board will discuss installing CO detectors.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes