VISTA, Calif. (AP) – A 68-year-old man pleaded not guilty Wednesday to murdering his wife after police found her severed head in a freezer and her body parts cooking on the stove at their Oceanside home.
Frederick Hengl looked frail as he entered his plea, and his lawyer has requested he receive medical attention, according to U-T San Diego (
Police said they responded to neighbors’ complaints about a foul odor coming from the couple’s two-bedroom, bungalow-style house Friday morning.
The first officer entered the home through a window and saw three pans of meat cooking on the stove that turned out to be parts of the victim, 73-year-old Anna Faris.
It’s believed Faris was killed sometime in November. Authorities have not yet determined how she died.
There were numerous pieces of freshly cut bone found around the home, said Deputy District Attorney Katherine Flaherty. A meat grinder, a saw, a boning knife and other cutting materials were also in the house.
Flaherty said there was no evidence of cannibalism.
Neighbor Erick Chavez told U-T San Diego that the stench from the house grew unbearable after someone placed a fan in one of the home’s windows. The odor had lingered for more than a week.
Hengl remained jailed on $5 million bail. An effort to leave a phone message for his public defender Wednesday night was unsuccessful.
Information from: U-T San Diego,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food