NEWARK, N.J. (AP) – A man charged with luring an underage boy for a sexual encounter two years ago made numerous online postings expressing fantasies of child cannibalism, federal authorities said Wednesday in announcing new charges against him.
Robert Mucha, 56, already was jailed on a child pornography possession charge from July. On Wednesday, the U.S. attorney’s office added another child pornography count and a count of enticing a minor to engage in criminal sexual activity. The enticing count carries a minimum 10-year prison sentence and a maximum life sentence upon conviction.
Mucha, of Newton, a town in the northwestern part of the state, made a brief appearance in U.S. District Court on Wednesday. He didn’t enter a plea and remained held without bail. The federal public defender’s office, which represents him, didn’t promptly return a message seeking comment.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Andrew Bruck said during the hearing that investigators reviewed 30,000 lines of online chat room conversations in which Mucha expressed his sexual fantasies of child cannibalism.
“They are unspeakably horrific,” Bruck told U.S. Magistrate Judge Michael Hammer.
In one conversation, Mucha received from an unnamed person a digital image depicting a naked pre-pubescent boy hanging from a wooden pole digitally superimposed over a photograph of a campfire.
“oh man, love that 1st one,” Mucha wrote about the image, according to a criminal complaint.
Investigators said that after Mucha’s arrest in July, when images of child pornography were found during a search of his home, he admitted fantasizing about abducting, cooking and eating children.
He also admitted deriving sexual gratification from physical contact with teenage boys and watching teenage boys showering during his 30s when he taught band class in the towns of Lakewood and Belleville, the complaint said. It wasn’t immediately known where those classes were held or if they were under the auspices of local school districts.
At the time of Mucha’s arrest, he was working as a volunteer emergency medical technician in Andover, a few miles from Newton. A phone number for an emergency squad listed on Andover Township’s website wasn’t taking messages Wednesday.
Prosecutors said Mucha cultivated a 15-year-old boy through the boy’s mother and eventually persuaded the boy to visit him at his apartment in Stroudsburg, Pa., in October 2010. While there, prosecutors said, Mucha tried to initiate sexual contact with the boy.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas