SILVER CITY, N.M. (AP) – An employee at a New Mexico gun shop who was unloading a handgun accidentally shot and wounded a customer in the back, authorities said Wednesday.
The 65-year-old customer, who has not been identified, was airlifted from Silver City to an El Paso, Texas, hospital after the shooting on Tuesday and was listed in good condition, police Capt. Steve Reese said.
The shooting occurred at Copper Country Sporting Arms and involved a .45 caliber handgun, Reese said.
“It was pretty unusual,” he said. “We hadn’t seen any signs of foul play or anything like that.”
Reese said the case had been handed over to prosecutors who will make a decision on whether any charges should be filed.
The name of the employee was not released.
A person who answered the phone Wednesday at Copper Country said the store would not comment.
The store is listed on Silver City’s tourism website as a shop that sells guns, ammunition, bows, archery supplies and related sporting goods.
Reese said the store has not had any previous problems.
Silver City is located in southwestern New Mexico.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night