LOS ANGELES (AP) – A U.S. Air Force spokeswoman says a terror suspect accused of plotting to kill Americans and target U.S. bases overseas was given an honorable discharge after serving only briefly in the service 11 years ago.
Ann Stefanek says 34-year-old Sohiel Omar Kabir of Pomona, Calif., enlisted in the Air Force on July 20, 2000, and was administratively separated on Dec. 17, 2001.
Stefanek says privacy laws prevent her from saying why Kabir left but that it was not for misconduct.
Most enlisted members serve four to six years.
A variety of reasons can prompt an administrative separation, including medical issues.
Kabir is one of four California men arrested recently on allegations they were plotting to bomb military bases and government facilities by joining al-Qaida and the Taliban in Afghanistan.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again