LOS ANGELES (AP) – A U.S. Air Force spokeswoman says a terror suspect accused of plotting to kill Americans and target U.S. bases overseas was given an honorable discharge after serving only briefly in the service 11 years ago.
Ann Stefanek says 34-year-old Sohiel Omar Kabir of Pomona, Calif., enlisted in the Air Force on July 20, 2000, and was administratively separated on Dec. 17, 2001.
Stefanek says privacy laws prevent her from saying why Kabir left but that it was not for misconduct.
Most enlisted members serve four to six years.
A variety of reasons can prompt an administrative separation, including medical issues.
Kabir is one of four California men arrested recently on allegations they were plotting to bomb military bases and government facilities by joining al-Qaida and the Taliban in Afghanistan.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees