AUBURN, Ala. (AP) – Landmark oak trees at an Alabama university that barely survived being poisoned have been further damaged by flames.
Authorities are hoping a video trained on the trees at the edge of Auburn University’s campus will show the source of the blaze Sunday morning that consumed toilet paper draped by jubilant football fans after the school’s team defeated Alabama A&M.
The Opelika-Auburn News quotes (
http://bit.ly/UbuMne) university officials as saying that both trees at Toomer’s Corner were significantly damaged.
The trees were poisoned two years ago, allegedly by a University of Alabama fan in a fit of football rivalry.
Once full and lush, the trees are now gnarly and brown. Officials pruned branches before football season, but fans are still allowed to drape toilet paper on the remaining wood after victories.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life