NEW YORK (AP) – Ambulances are being welcomed again at a New York City hospital severely damaged nearly four months ago by Superstorm Sandy.
The 371-bed Coney Island Hospital has struggled to recover from the storm, which filled its lower levels with water and destroyed its emergency department.
The city’s Health and Hospitals Corporation announced Friday the medical center is once again receiving ambulances for most types of care. It still isn’t delivering babies or seeing trauma patients.
The hospital had previously opened its emergency room on a limited basis for walk-in patients.
Coney Island Hospital is nearly three-quarters of a mile from the neighborhood’s famous beach, but the distance offered little protection from Sandy’s wrath.
The hospital has been operating a fleet of mobile medical vans in the flood zone since the storm.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development