LOS ANGELES (AP) – Los Angeles police formed skirmish lines during a street clash between Palestinian supporters and a pro-Israel group staging a rally, but nobody was arrested.
KNX radio reports one man apparently broke his arm during a fight with a demonstrator during the Sunday afternoon event outside the Westwood federal building.
The rally attracted more than 1,000 pro-Israel supporters amid renewed fighting in the Gaza Strip, where Israel is retaliating for Hamas rocket attacks.
After the event began, a group of about 250 Palestinian supporters began demonstrating on the opposite side of Wilshire Boulevard.
It triggered a Los Angeles Police Department tactical alert that drew police officers, sheriff’s deputies and the California Highway Patrol officers who formed skirmish lines until the demonstrators eventually left.
Information from: KNX-AM,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever