NEW YORK (AP) – A Chicago-area lawyer convicted in a $2.4 billion fraud that led to the collapse of a giant independent commodities firm was sentenced Monday to a year and a day in prison.
Joseph P. Collins, 62, of Winnetka, Ill., was sentenced in Manhattan federal court after his November conviction on charges including conspiracy, securities fraud and wire fraud. Collins was formerly the chief outside attorney for the now-defunct financial services company Refco Group Inc.
Refco, once the nation’s largest independent commodities firm, filed for bankruptcy in 2005. Its former CEO pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit securities fraud and was sentenced to 16 years in prison. Others convicted included one of Refco’s former owners, a former chief financial officer and a former executive vice president.
Collins maintained that Refco executives never revealed the fraud to him.
U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said in a statement that Collins was a lawyer “deeply and corruptly enmeshed in coordinating and concealing the massive accounting fraud that ultimately led to Refco’s collapse.”
Prosecutors said Collins played a pivotal role in the fraud to falsify Refco’s financial statements by hiding an enormous debt the company held from Refco’s investors and auditors. They said Collins and lawyers at his firm drafted documents on at least 17 occasions from February 2000 through October 2005 to help the company conceal the size of its debt.
Collins was originally convicted in 2009, but the conviction was reversed last year by the federal appeals court in Manhattan.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them