NEW YORK (AP) – An Iranian man has been indicted in New York on charges that he plotted to illegally export military and civilian aircraft parts from the United States to Iran.
Alireza Moazami Goudarzi was charged in an indictment returned Thursday in federal court in Manhattan. The 28-year-old man was arrested by Malaysian authorities in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on Oct. 24. Authorities say he’s in Malaysian custody pending extradition proceedings. It wasn’t clear if he had a lawyer.
Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said Goudarzi brazenly discussed a willingness to pay higher prices for military-grade aircraft parts to dodge an embargo affecting Iran. He says Goudarzi was thwarted when a supplier called law enforcement authorities.
Authorities say Goudarzi’s shopping list in October 2010 included rotor blades for an attack helicopter and jet engines.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life