(AP) – BP said Thursday it has agreed to pay $4.5 billion in a settlement with the federal government over the April 2010 explosion of the drilling rig Deepwater Horizon. The agreement includes nearly $1.3 billion in criminal fines, with the rest of the money going to several government-related entities. The criminal fine is the largest in U.S. history and eclipses a 2009 fine against drug-maker Pfizer Inc.
Here’s a look at the largest criminal fines assessed against companies in the U.S., according to the Justice Department:
1. $1.256 billion in criminal fines, November 2012, against BP PLC for various charges related to the 2010 explosion of the Deepwater Horizon and the resulting oil spill. An estimated 172 million gallons of crude spilled into the Gulf, fouling marshes and beaches, killing wildlife and closing vast areas to fishing. Eleven workers died in the blast. The spill was the nation’s worst offshore oil disaster.
2. $1.195 billion, October 2009, against Pfizer Inc. as part of a settlement of criminal and civil allegations that it promoted the anti-inflammatory drug Bextra for uses and dosages the Food and Drug Administration had rejected because of safety concerns.
3. $956.8 million, plus $43.2 million in forfeitures, October 2010, as part of a GlaxoSmithKline PLC settlement for misbranding the drugs Paxil and Wellbutrin and for failing to report post-approval studies of the drug Avandia to the Food and Drug Administration.
4. $700 million, May 2012, against Abbott Laboratories Inc. as part of a settlement for unlawful promotion of the prescription drug Depakote.
5. $515 million fine and $100 million forfeiture, January 2009, against Eli Lilly and Co. as part of a settlement for off-label marketing of antipsychotics.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon