BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) – The federal government has dropped an indictment against a man accused of making a false bomb threat at LSU that sparked a 12-hour evacuation of the Baton Rouge campus in September.
U.S. Attorney Donald J. Cazayoux (KAZ’-uh-yoo) Jr. on Wednesday announced the dismissal of the federal charges against 42-year-old William Bouvay Jr., of Baton Rouge.
Bouvay still faces a state charge of communications of false information of a planned bombing on school property. Cazayoux says a successful state prosecution would result in a considerably higher sentence, so the federal charge was dropped.
The state intends to charge Bouvay as a habitual offender. If convicted, he could get a mandatory minimum of 13 years, four months and a maximum sentence of 40 years. The federal charge carried a 10-year sentence.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food