EVERETT, Wash. (AP) – A mistrial has been declared in the case of a police officer in Washington state who was charged with manslaughter after his 3-year-old son shot and killed one of the officer’s other children after finding a gun in the family van.
Derek Carlile is accused of leaving a loaded .38-caliber revolver in a cubbyhole in the van, then getting out and leaving his four young children inside. Investigators say the 3-year-old grabbed the gun and fatally shot his 7-year-old sister.
On Tuesday, the jury was declared hung.
Prosecutor Lisa Paul says, “No reasonable person would leave a loaded, unsecured gun in a van with four children.”
Defense lawyer David Allen told the jury that the shooting was a tragic mistake.
Carlile will be retried in January.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl