NEW YORK (AP) – The co-founder of a Connecticut hedge fund who authorities said made his firm nearly $70 million in illegal profit through insider trading was sentenced Monday to 6 1/2 years in prison.
Anthony Chiasson, 39, of Manhattan, had been convicted in December of five counts of securities fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit securities fraud. U.S. District Judge Richard Sullivan also ordered him to pay a $5 million fine.
Prosecutors said Chiasson was part of a group of portfolio managers and analysts who got inside information from employees at publicly traded companies. In one example, the government said Chiasson earned more than $58 million for Greenwich, Conn.-based Level Global Investors illegally by trading on tips received about Dell Inc. stock in 2008. A tip from another firm in 2009 brought in about $10 million in illegal profits.
“Anthony Chiasson chose to be part of a corrupt circle of friends that cheated the market to gain an unfair trading advantage, and for that, he lost his career, his reputation and now he has lost his liberty,” said U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara.
Chiasson was convicted in December along with Todd Newman, 48, of Needham, Mass., a former hedge fund manager at Stamford, Conn.-based Diamondback Capital Management. He was sentenced to 4 1/2 years in prison earlier this month.
Five other men connected to the circle have pleaded guilty to securities fraud and conspiracy to commit securities fraud, authorities said. They all await sentencing.
The case was part of a government crackdown on insider trading in recent years that has resulted in more than 80 arrests and 70 convictions.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them