NEW YORK (AP) – The co-founder of a Connecticut hedge fund who authorities said made his firm nearly $70 million in illegal profit through insider trading was sentenced Monday to 6 1/2 years in prison.
Anthony Chiasson, 39, of Manhattan, had been convicted in December of five counts of securities fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit securities fraud. U.S. District Judge Richard Sullivan also ordered him to pay a $5 million fine.
Prosecutors said Chiasson was part of a group of portfolio managers and analysts who got inside information from employees at publicly traded companies. In one example, the government said Chiasson earned more than $58 million for Greenwich, Conn.-based Level Global Investors illegally by trading on tips received about Dell Inc. stock in 2008. A tip from another firm in 2009 brought in about $10 million in illegal profits.
“Anthony Chiasson chose to be part of a corrupt circle of friends that cheated the market to gain an unfair trading advantage, and for that, he lost his career, his reputation and now he has lost his liberty,” said U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara.
Chiasson was convicted in December along with Todd Newman, 48, of Needham, Mass., a former hedge fund manager at Stamford, Conn.-based Diamondback Capital Management. He was sentenced to 4 1/2 years in prison earlier this month.
Five other men connected to the circle have pleaded guilty to securities fraud and conspiracy to commit securities fraud, authorities said. They all await sentencing.
The case was part of a government crackdown on insider trading in recent years that has resulted in more than 80 arrests and 70 convictions.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas