NEW YORK (AP) – The co-founder of a Connecticut hedge fund who authorities said made his firm nearly $70 million in illegal profit through insider trading was sentenced Monday to 6 1/2 years in prison.
Anthony Chiasson, 39, of Manhattan, had been convicted in December of five counts of securities fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit securities fraud. U.S. District Judge Richard Sullivan also ordered him to pay a $5 million fine.
Prosecutors said Chiasson was part of a group of portfolio managers and analysts who got inside information from employees at publicly traded companies. In one example, the government said Chiasson earned more than $58 million for Greenwich, Conn.-based Level Global Investors illegally by trading on tips received about Dell Inc. stock in 2008. A tip from another firm in 2009 brought in about $10 million in illegal profits.
“Anthony Chiasson chose to be part of a corrupt circle of friends that cheated the market to gain an unfair trading advantage, and for that, he lost his career, his reputation and now he has lost his liberty,” said U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara.
Chiasson was convicted in December along with Todd Newman, 48, of Needham, Mass., a former hedge fund manager at Stamford, Conn.-based Diamondback Capital Management. He was sentenced to 4 1/2 years in prison earlier this month.
Five other men connected to the circle have pleaded guilty to securities fraud and conspiracy to commit securities fraud, authorities said. They all await sentencing.
The case was part of a government crackdown on insider trading in recent years that has resulted in more than 80 arrests and 70 convictions.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl