LOS ANGELES (AP) – Police climbed up and down undeveloped hills east of downtown Los Angeles on Tuesday in a massive search for a teenage girl or woman after witnesses reported seeing a man drag her away by the hair.
Searchers on foot and horseback combed 455 acres of the El Sereno hills while others flew overhead in a helicopter and dog handlers deployed bloodhounds.
The apparent victim, described as 13 or older _ and possibly a small woman _ was reported kidnapped Monday night near a recreation center during an argument with a young man who may be between 18 and 20, police said. Sketches of both the girl and the man were released late Tuesday.
“That argument escalated to the point where the male struck the female at least once in the face and then began to drag her up into the brush area by the hair,” police Lt. Andy Neiman said.
Witnesses followed and saw the man begin to remove some of the girl’s clothing, he said.
Police Chief Charlie Beck said the only evidence officers had found in the search, which was 90 percent complete Tuesday afternoon, were some leggings and tennis shoes.
“My hope is that this was a dispute that was resolved in some way, but we have to treat everything like it’s the real deal,” Beck said at a news conference.
No reports of a missing girl had been filed, but the witnesses seemed credible, police said.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof