LOS ANGELES (AP) – Police climbed up and down undeveloped hills east of downtown Los Angeles on Tuesday in a massive search for a teenage girl or woman after witnesses reported seeing a man drag her away by the hair.
Searchers on foot and horseback combed 455 acres of the El Sereno hills while others flew overhead in a helicopter and dog handlers deployed bloodhounds.
The apparent victim, described as 13 or older _ and possibly a small woman _ was reported kidnapped Monday night near a recreation center during an argument with a young man who may be between 18 and 20, police said. Sketches of both the girl and the man were released late Tuesday.
“That argument escalated to the point where the male struck the female at least once in the face and then began to drag her up into the brush area by the hair,” police Lt. Andy Neiman said.
Witnesses followed and saw the man begin to remove some of the girl’s clothing, he said.
Police Chief Charlie Beck said the only evidence officers had found in the search, which was 90 percent complete Tuesday afternoon, were some leggings and tennis shoes.
“My hope is that this was a dispute that was resolved in some way, but we have to treat everything like it’s the real deal,” Beck said at a news conference.
No reports of a missing girl had been filed, but the witnesses seemed credible, police said.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.