SAN DIEGO (AP) – Sixty dogs and cats that were displaced by Superstorm Sandy have arrived in San Diego following a cross-country flight.
The plane carrying the animals landed at Lindberg Field Saturday, and they were taken to a shelter in Rancho Santa Fe.
A spokeswoman for the Helen Woodward Animal Center said the dogs and cats were facing euthanization at New York and New Jersey animal shelters that lost power after the storm struck last month.
Jessica Gercke said her organization approached Southwest Airlines and SeaWorld to help rescue the animals. She said a pilot and crew donated their time, BP footed the gas bill, and animal handlers from Seaworld accompanied the animals on the flight.
Gerke said the center will get the animals vaccinated, spayed and neutered before offering them for adoption.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered