MACON, Ga. (AP) – Former President Jimmy Carter has become a member of the board of trustees at Mercer University.
The Telegraph of Macon reports (
http://bit.ly/VYuU7c) that Carter joined the board at its meeting Friday in the Georgia city.
The 88-year-old Carter told the newspaper he was “very excited about what’s happening at Mercer” and was pleased to join the board, which has responsibility for overall policy-making for the college.
Deanna Congileo, a spokeswoman for The Carter Center, says Mercer’s board and the center’s board will be the only ones on which Carter serves.
Mercer President Bill Underwood said Carter brings a wealth of experience and that it was a “great honor for our institution to have someone of his stature.”
During Friday’s meeting, the board approved three new graduate degree programs.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night