ATLANTA (AP) – Hundreds of law enforcement officers are honoring two Atlanta police officers killed when their helicopter crashed during a nighttime search for a missing boy.
Officers Richard J. Halford and Shawn A. Smiley died in Saturday night’s crash of their OH-6A helicopter in an Atlanta street. The missing boy was later found safe.
On Friday, a motorcade of officers lined up at Turner Field for a procession to Jackson Memorial Baptist Church for the funeral of Halford, a pilot who had been with the department for 26 years.
On Saturday, a funeral will be held for Smiley at First Baptist Church of Atlanta. A tactical flight officer, Smiley joined the department two years ago. Both men were fathers.
The National Transportation Safety Board continues to investigate the cause of the crash.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever