ATLANTA (AP) – Hundreds of law enforcement officers are honoring two Atlanta police officers killed when their helicopter crashed during a nighttime search for a missing boy.
Officers Richard J. Halford and Shawn A. Smiley died in Saturday night’s crash of their OH-6A helicopter in an Atlanta street. The missing boy was later found safe.
On Friday, a motorcade of officers lined up at Turner Field for a procession to Jackson Memorial Baptist Church for the funeral of Halford, a pilot who had been with the department for 26 years.
On Saturday, a funeral will be held for Smiley at First Baptist Church of Atlanta. A tactical flight officer, Smiley joined the department two years ago. Both men were fathers.
The National Transportation Safety Board continues to investigate the cause of the crash.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon