LAS VEGAS (AP) – Hannah Dreier, a temporary legislative and political writer in Sacramento, Calif., has been hired as a gambling and tourism reporter for The Associated Press in Las Vegas.
The appointment was announced Friday by West Editor Traci Carl.
Dreier has been the reporter on several stories while at the AP in California, including coverage of the 2012 election, Gov. Jerry Brown and municipal bankruptcies. She also wrote a story that exposed how money for a Sept. 11 scholarship fund was being misspent.
Dreier, 26, previously worked at the San Jose Mercury News, a Spanish-language weekly in San Francisco and the nonprofit news site Washington Independent. Among her notable accomplishments at the Mercury News was a series of stories about hospital policies involving illegal immigrant patients and organ transplants. The coverage prompted policy changes and helped a man get a life-saving transplant.
“Hannah has a stellar track record in producing hard-hitting journalism, and we are thrilled to have her join the AP’s team in Las Vegas,” Carl said.
She graduated from Wesleyan University in Middletown, Conn. She also received a fellowship in criminal justice reporting this year from The John Jay/H.F. Guggenheim Foundation.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets