CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (AP) – An employee planted a working pipe bomb in the lighting department of a suburban Home Depot as part of a plot to extort $2 million from the company, a federal prosecutor said Thursday.
Daniel Sheehan, 50, of Deer Park, was arrested Wednesday and charged with attempted extortion and the use of a destructive device.
In an anonymous letter, Sheehan notified the manager of the Home Depot in Huntington that he had placed a bomb there, and police were able to find it, U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch said. They took it away and detonated it, she said.
But Sheehan’s letter said he only wanted to prove he could plant a bomb without being detected, Lynch said. He then threatened to set off three more bombs at Home Depots on Long Island if he didn’t get the money, the prosecutor said.
The letter said those bombs would shut down the stores on Black Friday, the big shopping day after Thanksgiving, Lynch said. Each would hold a pound of roofing nails, according to the complaint.
After a second letter was sent, lowering the ransom demand to $1 million and setting a drop date for Oct. 26, investigators were able to identify and arrest Sheehan, Lynch said.
“Sheehan put lives at risk and tried to hold the people of Long Island hostage to his extortionate demands,” Lynch said. “There is no bargaining to be had with human life, and the only payout Sheehan will receive will be the full measure of justice for his actions.”
Sheehan appeared Thursday at the federal courthouse in Central Islip and was sent to jail without bail. No plea was entered. A call to his lawyer was not immediately returned.
If convicted, Sheehan he would face a mandatory minimum sentence of 30 years in prison.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier