LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) – A man convicted in the 2009 shooting deaths of five people at a trailer park in Arkansas deserves a new trial because a juror admitted he could not be fair to him in his original trial, the state Supreme Court ruled Thursday.
Samuel Lee Conway was convicted last year on five counts of capital murder, plus other charges, and sentenced to life in prison without parole in the slayings in Garland County.
Conway, 26, argued that he deserved a new trial because the judge didn’t dismiss a juror who told him he couldn’t be impartial.
Before the prosecution rested at Conway’s trial, the juror sent a note to Judge John Homer Wright.
“I don’t think I can be a fair juror anymore,” the juror said in the note, according to the Supreme Court’s opinion. He said he kept a loaded shotgun beside his bed because of the testimony he’d been hearing.
“That’s basically _ it’s bad saying it, but I’ve made up my mind about the case already this early,” the juror said, according to court filings.
Still, Wright decided not to dismiss the juror.
“I’m not gonna excuse him because I don’t think that he’s expressed anything other than the fact he has formed an opinion, which you have acknowledged jurors do then they go in and discuss it,” Wright said, according to court filings.
The high court sided with Conway, saying the judge abused his discretion in failing to dismiss that juror.
“The right to a fair and impartial trial is a fundamental guarantee, and Conway was denied that right in this case,” Justice Karen Baker wrote for the Supreme Court.
A new trial date has not been scheduled. Conway will be transferred from a state prison to a Garland County jail, one of his lawyers, Janice Vaughn, said, adding that she was pleased with the court’s decision.
“The very thrust of our whole system is to have a fair jury, and when a juror can’t be fair, you don’t get a fair trial,” Vaughn said.
Wright didn’t immediately respond to a phone message Thursday. Aaron Sadler, a spokesman for the attorney general’s office, said they respect the Supreme Court’s decision.
Authorities said Conway and Jeremy Pickney shot five people and stole a set of expensive wheel rims and flat-screen televisions.
Firefighters found the bodies of Edward Gentry Jr.; his wife, Pam Gentry; their son, Jeremy Gentry; and Jeremy’s girlfriend, Kristyn Warneke, in the rubble of a burned mobile home early on Nov. 12, 2009. Police discovered Edward Gentry Sr. in a mobile home next door.
Authorities said all of the victims had been shot and killed before the fire started.
Pickney pleaded guilty to lesser charges: conspiracy to commit aggravated residential burglary and theft by receiving.
Law enforcement officers fatally shot a third suspect, Marvin Lamar Stringer, at a motel a week after the murders.
Follow Jeannie Nuss at
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food