DIXVILLE NOTCH, N.H. (AP) – While most of the East Coast is asleep, residents of two tiny villages in northern New Hampshire will head to the polls at midnight to cast the first Election Day votes in the nation.
Dixville Notch has 10 voters and Hart’s Location has 37 (there were 36, but one more registered at the last minute.) The towns have been enjoying their first-vote status since 1948 and it’s a matter of pride to get everyone to the polls.
Hart’s Location Selectman Mark Dindorf says you could call it a friendly competition to see who gets votes tallied first, although he says Hart’s Location is a town and Dixville Notch is a precinct.
President Barack Obama and GOP candidate Mitt Romney are locked in a fierce battle for the swing state’s four electoral votes.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development