MIAMI (AP) – Prosecutors in Miami have decided to retry the caretaker of missing 4-year-old foster child Rilya Wilson on a murder charge.
A jury in January convicted 68-year-old Geralyn Graham of kidnapping and child abuse but could not agree on a murder count. Graham was sentenced to 55 years in prison for the convictions, but prosecutors said Friday they will try her again for murder.
A judge set a September trial date.
Rilya vanished in December 2000 from Graham’s home but her disappearance wasn’t noticed for 15 months, largely because a Department of Children and Families caseworker neglected to check on the girl. Rilya’s body has never been found.
The state’s case hinges largely on jailhouse informants who say Graham confessed to them. Graham insists she is innocent.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development