NEW YORK (AP) – President Barack Obama will be getting a firsthand look at the damage done by the superstorm in New Jersey but not in New York City _ and Mayor Michael Bloomberg is OK with that.
Bloomberg on Tuesday said he spoke to Obama and his chief of staff, Jack Lew, and told them the city would “love to have him, but we’ve got lots of things to do.”
Bloomberg said that he wasn’t trying to “dis” the president and that his trip to New Jersey on Wednesday would represent the whole region.
He also spoke highly of the relationship between federal and local officials. He said that on a conference call with the president and other mayors and governors of affected areas, everybody kept saying, “Thank you for the service.”
“You know, there was a lot of criticism with (the Federal Emergency Management Agency) back in the (Hurricane) Katrina days, and today, you hear nothing but good things about FEMA, and they certainly have been very helpful to us,” Bloomberg said.
The White House said the president and Lew spoke to Bloomberg to let him know the president planned to travel to New Jersey and to ask the mayor if he agreed with their assessment that Wednesday would not be the right time to visit the city.
The White House typically coordinates with local officials before traveling to a disaster zone to ensure it’s not drawing away any law enforcement and emergency management assets being used in the disaster response.
Tuesday’s storm killed 18 people in New York City, the mayor said. It knocked out power for hundreds of thousands more, plunging the city into darkness.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier