(AP) – The massive storm that started out as Hurricane Sandy slammed into the East Coast and morphed into a huge and problematic system, killing at least 106 people in the United States. Power outages now stand at more than 1.3 million homes and businesses, down from a peak of 8.5 million. Here’s a snapshot of what is happening, state by state.
State’s large utilities say they’ve met their targets on restoring power in an effort that was closely watched after extensive outages last year. Deaths: 3. Power outages: 35,000, down from a peak of 625,000.
Hundreds of thousands go sixth day without electricity, natural gas remains cut off to barrier islands, subway service to New York still suspended. Some schools reopen. Gov. Chris Christie says he got a hug from Bruce Springsteen at Friday’s benefit concert. Deaths: 23. Power outages: 779,000, down from 2.7 million.
New Yorkers forced from their homes by the storm will be allowed to vote by affidavit ballot at any polling site in the state. Deaths: 47, including 40 in New York City. Power outages: more than 456,000, down from 2.2 million.
All polling locations expected to have power in time for Election Day, only a few by generator. Deaths: 15. Power outages: Fewer than 30,000, down from 1.2 million.
Newport officials say it will cost $2 million to repair the city’s famed Cliff Walk, sometimes cited as Rhode Island’s most visited attraction. Power outages: none, down from more than 122,000.
Red Cross and Southern Baptist Convention provide hot meals and send food and water to those without power after heavy snowfall. Deaths: 6. Power outages: 33,000, down from 270,000.
Other states with storm-related deaths: Maryland (4), New Hampshire (1), North Carolina (3), Ohio (2), Virginia (2).
Sources: Local and state authorities; AP reporting
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development