SEATAC, Wash. (AP) – A man in his 20s who bolted through a Seattle-Tacoma International Airport security checkpoint, ran down a concourse and out onto the tarmac was arrested Friday night after police caught up with him in an empty airplane, an airport spokesman said.
“It appears to be a drug-induced situation,” spokesman Perry Cooper said, adding the man was not armed.
He was arrested inside an American Airlines plane after a short struggle. Police said he would be booked for investigation of trespass and assault of an officer.
The plane was being checked for anything suspicious before returning to service, Cooper said.
No other airport operations were affected.
Transportation Security Administration officers chased the man initially and Port of Seattle police quickly responded.
Once the man was on the tarmac, he raced up a stairway and punched through a window in a door at the end of a jetway connecting the empty plane with the terminal, Cooper said. He crawled through the broken window glass and entered the unoccupied plane.
“He had to be tackled to the ground,” the spokesman said, adding the arrested man suffered minor injuries. Cooper said officers were unhurt.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments