SKOWHEGAN, Maine (AP) – A Maine judge has ruled that an 11-year-old girl charged in the death of an infant remains incompetent to stand trial.
The Fairfield girl’s detention and conditions of release are unchanged, pending further discussion of her ability to stand trial, Judge Charles LaVerdiere said Friday.
LaVerdiere said there is a substantial probability the girl will be competent to stand trial in the foreseeable future, the Morning Sentinel reported (
She is charged with manslaughter in the July 8 death of 3-month-old Brooklyn Foss-Greenaway. The infant was staying overnight at the home of girl’s mother, who was babysitting her.
The infant’s mother was told the baby died from suffocation and had trace amounts of a medication that the girl had been taking in her system.
The older girl was charged last summer at age 10 with juvenile manslaughter. A judge had ruled in March that she was incompetent to stand trial.
The state forensic examiners will check on her competency again in six months, LaVerdiere said.
The girl’s lawyer could not be reached for comment on Saturday. A phone message left at his office was not immediately returned.
Information from: Morning Sentinel,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food