MIAMI (AP) – A federal appeals court has refused to lift a stay of execution for a Florida mass killer.
Lawyers for the state had asked the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals to lift the stay for John Errol Ferguson. The Miami Herald reports (
http://hrld.us/RnZ9Ep) the court declined Friday night.
Ferguson’s lawyers claim he suffers from mental illness so severe that he should not be eligible for the death penalty. The 64-year-old Ferguson is a paranoid schizophrenic.
The federal appeals court blocked his scheduled execution by injection on Tuesday and the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the stay.
The Supreme Court rejected an earlier Ferguson emergency appeal Tuesday _ as did the 11th Circuit _ but the high court wouldn’t agree to the state of Florida’s request to overturn the later ruling.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again