SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – A famed dog that lost her snout and upper jaw saving two girls’ lives in the Philippines was released from a California hospital Monday, officials said.
The dog _ named Kabang _ will be headed back to its owner in the Philippines following treatment at the University of California, Davis veterinary hospital, said UC Davis veterinary professor Frank Verstraete. Doctors at the hospital performed surgery to heal her wounds, though they could not reconstruct Kabang’s jaw or snout, Verstraete said.
“She’s a very, very happy, functional dog, and that is all that we were after,” Verstraete said.
Kabang had her snout and upper jaw sheared off in December 2011 when she jumped in front of a motorcycle in the Philippines. She saved the lives of her owner’s daughter and niece, who were apparently in the path of the oncoming cycle.
Nearly a year after Kabang sustained the injuries, a nurse from Buffalo, N.Y. was able to raise the money to bring her to the U.S. Veterinarians in the Philippines were apparently unable to treat her injuries.
Doctors at UC Davis were unable to perform surgery on Kabang initially because she needed to be treated for other ailments, including a tumor and heartworms. Treatment of those ailments would have prevented her wounds from healing.
Doctors took skin from her cheeks, neck, and forehead to cover up sensitive areas that were exposed on her face during the March surgery, Verstraete said.
Kabang is expected to fly back to the Philippines on Thursday.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever