PHILADELPHIA (AP) – The family of a Philadelphia teenager who says she was mocked by her geometry teacher for wearing a Mitt Romney T-shirt to class has sued the teacher and the school district.
The Philadelphia Inquirer reports (
http://bit.ly/VV3Tka) the lawsuit claims the district ignored 16-year-old Samantha Pawlucy’s right to free speech.
The lawsuit claims the district let other students harass Pawlucy and subjected her to emotional distress. It seeks unspecified damages.
A district spokesman won’t comment.
Teacher Lynette Gaymon has apologized to Pawlucy. A telephone message left Friday for Gaymon hasn’t been returned.
Pawlucy says the teacher questioned why she was wearing the shirt and called others to the room to laugh at her in September.
Romney called the girl’s family and said he appreciated her courage. The Republican lost Pennsylvania and the November election to President Barack Obama.
Information from: The Philadelphia Inquirer,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona