TULSA, Okla. (AP) – An Illinois man accused in a failed plot to firebomb dozens of Oklahoma churches was found not guilty by reason of insanity Friday after prosecutors and defense attorneys agreed he was mentally ill.
U.S. District Judge Claire Eagan found Gregory Arthur Weiler II of Elk Grove Village, Ill., not guilty on a charge of possessing an unregistered, destructive device. Prosecutors accused Weiler of plotting to bomb 48 churches in Ottawa County, though no explosives were set off and no one was injured.
Weiler was arrested in October 2012 after a motel worker in Miami, Okla., discovered a duffel bag containing components of Molotov cocktails in a trash bin. Court documents filed Friday show that Weiler admitted placing the items in the trash.
“Weiler also stated that he planned to burn all of the churches in Miami, Okla., using the Molotov cocktails he had manufactured,” said the court document, signed by Assistant U.S. Attorney Dennis Fries and federal public defender Stephen Greubel.
Last April, a judge ruled that Weiler wasn’t mentally competent to stand trial and he was sent to a federal facility for treatment. Earlier this month, he was found mentally competent, but Weiler’s attorney said he was made competent through the use of medication.
Both sides agreed in the court record with a psychiatric evaluation that said Weiler was mentally ill at the time of the incident in Miami.
“Further, the parties agree and stipulate that the defendant, Gregory A. Weiler II., was suffering from a mental disease and/or disorder that rendered him unable to appreciate the nature, quality or wrongfulness of his actions,” the document said.
Eagan ordered Friday that Weiler be sent to a medical facility for psychiatric examination and set another court hearing for Feb. 21.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food