TULSA, Okla. (AP) – An Illinois man accused in a failed plot to firebomb dozens of Oklahoma churches was found not guilty by reason of insanity Friday after prosecutors and defense attorneys agreed he was mentally ill.
U.S. District Judge Claire Eagan found Gregory Arthur Weiler II of Elk Grove Village, Ill., not guilty on a charge of possessing an unregistered, destructive device. Prosecutors accused Weiler of plotting to bomb 48 churches in Ottawa County, though no explosives were set off and no one was injured.
Weiler was arrested in October 2012 after a motel worker in Miami, Okla., discovered a duffel bag containing components of Molotov cocktails in a trash bin. Court documents filed Friday show that Weiler admitted placing the items in the trash.
“Weiler also stated that he planned to burn all of the churches in Miami, Okla., using the Molotov cocktails he had manufactured,” said the court document, signed by Assistant U.S. Attorney Dennis Fries and federal public defender Stephen Greubel.
Last April, a judge ruled that Weiler wasn’t mentally competent to stand trial and he was sent to a federal facility for treatment. Earlier this month, he was found mentally competent, but Weiler’s attorney said he was made competent through the use of medication.
Both sides agreed in the court record with a psychiatric evaluation that said Weiler was mentally ill at the time of the incident in Miami.
“Further, the parties agree and stipulate that the defendant, Gregory A. Weiler II., was suffering from a mental disease and/or disorder that rendered him unable to appreciate the nature, quality or wrongfulness of his actions,” the document said.
Eagan ordered Friday that Weiler be sent to a medical facility for psychiatric examination and set another court hearing for Feb. 21.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America