WINTER SPRINGS, Fla. (AP) – All three members of a motorcycle club who were shot outside a Veterans of Foreign Wars post in central Florida have died.
Winter Springs police reported that Dave Jakiela died Tuesday, two days after being hospitalized. He was shot Sunday morning as members of a chapter of the Warlocks motorcycle club were meeting at the VFW for a charity ride. Also killed in the gunfire were Harold Liddle and Peter Schlette.
The gunfire erupted after other bikers showed up, Winter Springs police reported. Police officers responded and confiscated multiple weapons.
Victor Amaro, Robert Eckert, David Maloney and Paul Smith were each charged with two counts of homicide and one count of attempted homicide. Police expect to upgrade the attempted homicide in light of the third death. All four men were being held without bail.
The Orlando Sentinel (
http://thesent.nl/SBn6WI) reports that the Warlocks were founded in Orange County in the late 1960s by Navy veteran Tom “Grub” Freeland. The club now has chapters throughout the U.S., England and Germany.
Members of the Pennsylvania Warlocks motorcycle club came to Florida to establish a chapter in Seminole County earlier this year but are not associated with the Florida Warlocks. According to records, the four men who were charged in the shooting are associated with the Pennsylvania club.
The FBI and DEA are assisting Winter Springs Police in the investigation. They are all still trying to determine a motive.
Information from: Orlando (Fla.) Sentinel,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona