MINNEAPOLIS (AP) – A man shot two weeks ago in Minnesota’s deadliest workplace killing spree has died of his injuries, his family announced Thursday.
Eric Rivers died at Hennepin County Medical Center on Wednesday night, his family said in a statement. The production manager became the sixth victim to die from the Sept. 27 shootings at Accent Signage Systems in Minneapolis, not including gunman Andrew Engeldinger, 36, who committed suicide.
“We are grateful for the incredible courage displayed by the men and women who responded to the emergency and the wonderful medical team at Hennepin County Medical Center, who cared for Eric,” the family said in a statement. “At this time, the family asks for privacy as we deal with this personal tragedy. We thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers.”
The Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s office said Rivers died of gunshot wounds and his death was a homicide.
Rivers, 42, of St. Paul, had been in critical condition since the attack. Two other people were wounded but survived.
Company officials had just fired Engeldinger for lateness and poor performance when he pulled out a gun and started shooting. He killed the company’s founder, three other Accent employees and a UPS driver before turning the gun on himself.
According to police reports, Engeldinger shot Rivers and grazed Battites Wesley, another employee, in the production area. Wesley told investigators he saw Engeldinger shoot Rivers three times. One of the bullets hit the main artery in Rivers’ leg, one report said, causing him to lose a lot of blood.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food