NEW YORK (AP) – In an Oct. 16 story about a man who pleaded guilty to trespassing after he jumped into a Bronx Zoo tiger den, The Associated Press, relying on information from the New York Daily News, reported erroneously that David Villalobos will have to spend a year in a psychiatric facility. According to his attorney and the Bronx district attorney’s office, Villalobos must complete a year of mental health treatment, but he doesn’t have to be institutionalized.
A corrected version of the story is below:
Man mauled by tiger pleads guilty to trespassing
NY man who jumped into Bronx Zoo tiger den gets pleads guilty to trespassing, must undergo treatement
NEW YORK (AP) _ A man who was mauled after jumping into a Bronx Zoo tiger den must undergo mental health treatment as part of his conditional discharge.
The New York Daily News (
http://nydn.us/1bvHLHh) reports that David Villalobos (vee-uh-LOH’-bohs) pleaded guilty Tuesday to trespassing.
The 26-year-old Mahopac (MAY’-oh-pak), N.Y. resident must undergo mental health treatment for a year as part of a plea bargain deal.
Villalobos jumped from a monorail train that tours the zoo’s Wild Asia exhibit in September 2012. He scaled a fence to reach the Siberian tiger named Bashuta and was attacked and seriously injured.
According to the court complaint, he told police it was “a spiritual thing.” He said he wanted to be “at one with the tiger.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise