NEW YORK (AP) – In an Oct. 16 story about a man who pleaded guilty to trespassing after he jumped into a Bronx Zoo tiger den, The Associated Press, relying on information from the New York Daily News, reported erroneously that David Villalobos will have to spend a year in a psychiatric facility. According to his attorney and the Bronx district attorney’s office, Villalobos must complete a year of mental health treatment, but he doesn’t have to be institutionalized.
A corrected version of the story is below:
Man mauled by tiger pleads guilty to trespassing
NY man who jumped into Bronx Zoo tiger den gets pleads guilty to trespassing, must undergo treatement
NEW YORK (AP) _ A man who was mauled after jumping into a Bronx Zoo tiger den must undergo mental health treatment as part of his conditional discharge.
The New York Daily News (
http://nydn.us/1bvHLHh) reports that David Villalobos (vee-uh-LOH’-bohs) pleaded guilty Tuesday to trespassing.
The 26-year-old Mahopac (MAY’-oh-pak), N.Y. resident must undergo mental health treatment for a year as part of a plea bargain deal.
Villalobos jumped from a monorail train that tours the zoo’s Wild Asia exhibit in September 2012. He scaled a fence to reach the Siberian tiger named Bashuta and was attacked and seriously injured.
According to the court complaint, he told police it was “a spiritual thing.” He said he wanted to be “at one with the tiger.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl