The number of confirmed cases of measles increased to 10 Saturday after the Arizona Department of Health Services, and the Pinal County Public Health Services confirmed eight additional cases.
The outbreak is confined to a private detention center in Eloy, but nevertheless, Dr. Cara Christ, director of the Arizona Department of Health Services said a general alert for Pinal County has been issued.
“We know that many of the cases were in various locations within Pinal County,” Christ said. “We want people to know what their immunization status is and know the symptoms. It’s a cough, red runny eyes, runny nose, fever then usually three to four days with a rash that starts at the hairline and moves down the body.”
According to a press release from the Arizona Department of Health Services, the public exposure for the new cases includes multiple visits to the Apostolic Assembly in Eloy, Villa Oasis High School Graduation in Toltec and Cottonwood Medical Center in Casa Grande.
The new exposure list also includes the two previously reported cases at Harrah’s Ak-Chin Casino and an AM/PM store in Casa Grande.
“If people believe that they have been exposed in those areas, we are asking those people to take precautions,” Christ said. “If you developed a fever or rash and you have been exposed, we would want you to call your health care provider or the emergency room before showing up there so they can take precautions to keep other patients from being exposed.”
Christ added that it’s also important for people to know their vacation status. She said that people are considered immune if they have had two doses of measles, mumps or rebel a vaccine or the MMR vaccine.