UNITED NATIONS (AP) – Rwanda has denied U.N. experts’ allegations that a Congolese rebel group is recruiting inside its borders, trying to regroup in violation of a peace agreement reached last month.
Deputy ambassador Oliver Nduhungirehe said Thursday that the experts’ report given to the Security Council was just “recycling rumors.”
The top U.N. envoy in Congo this month said there are “credible reports” that the M23 rebel group is recruiting fighters and resuming activities despite the peace agreement with the Congolese government following its military defeat.
U.N. experts have accused Rwanda’s Tutsi-led government of backing the M23 and using it as a proxy force to secure access to eastern Congo’s lucrative mining trade. Rwanda’s government denies that.
The peace deal requires the M23 to transform itself into a political party.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets