UNITED NATIONS (AP) – Rwanda has denied U.N. experts’ allegations that a Congolese rebel group is recruiting inside its borders, trying to regroup in violation of a peace agreement reached last month.
Deputy ambassador Oliver Nduhungirehe said Thursday that the experts’ report given to the Security Council was just “recycling rumors.”
The top U.N. envoy in Congo this month said there are “credible reports” that the M23 rebel group is recruiting fighters and resuming activities despite the peace agreement with the Congolese government following its military defeat.
U.N. experts have accused Rwanda’s Tutsi-led government of backing the M23 and using it as a proxy force to secure access to eastern Congo’s lucrative mining trade. Rwanda’s government denies that.
The peace deal requires the M23 to transform itself into a political party.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.