LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) – An inmate awaiting trial on charges of killing two men at a homeowners association meeting committed suicide by hanging himself from a bed sheet in his cell, jail officials said.
Louisville Metro Corrections Director Mark Bolton said in a news release that Mahmoud Yousef Hindi was discovered hanging in his cell around 3:55 p.m. on Saturday.
Bolton said workers performed CPR on Hindi, who was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead about an hour later. Officials said Hindi was not on suicide watch and was alone in his cell. He’d been seen praying in his cell about 10 minutes before his body was found.
In September of 2012, Hindi took a loaded gun to a homeowners association meeting at an eastern Louisville church, authorities said. Police said that after waiting about a half-hour, he shot association President David Merritt, 73, and member Marvin Fisher, 69. No one else was hurt.
Hindi had been involved in longstanding property disputes with the board, and one was over a fence Hindi erected in his yard. The size and location of the fence, and later a driveway extension, became such sore points that the Spring Creek Homeowners Association took Hindi to court several times.
In a videotaped interview with police, Hindi said he went to the meeting hoping to resolve the issues with Merritt and Fisher.
“I was hoping that I could reason with them,” Hindi told police. “But I said to myself, if they are not going to resolve peace(fully) with me, honestly, I had to kill them. So I took my gun.”
A July 2014 trial date had been set for Hindi, who could have faced the death penalty. He also faced seven charges of wanton endangerment.
Hindi, a former doctor, was involved in multiple altercations while jailed. He was hospitalized in March after a fight with officers and was charged on New Year’s Day with assault and terroristic threatening after he was accused of throwing water on an officer and threatening to kill him.
Information from: The Courier-Journal,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier