NEW YORK (AP) – An ex-Army soldier who shipped two grenades back to the U.S. from his service in Iraq and then took them from Fort Bragg, N.C., to his home in New York City has been sentenced to 18 months in prison.
Anthony Cibelli pleaded guilty in September to transporting the grenades without a license. He was sentenced Thursday.
The 25-year-old Cibelli was discharged from the Army in 2010.
Authorities searched his Bronx home last December. They say they found two grenades on the roof outside his bedroom window plus four guns, two improvised explosive devices and ammunition.
Cibelli told officers he’d stashed the items in a container he shipped from Iraq to Fort Bragg. Prosecutor Preet Bharara (buh-RAHR’-uh) says Cibelli put himself and others in his neighborhood at risk.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night