SOUTH PLAINFIELD, N.J. (AP) – More than 50 Lukoil gas stations in New Jersey and Pennsylvania were jacking up prices to more than $8 a gallon Wednesday to protest what they say are unfair pricing practices by Lukoil North America that they say leave them at a competitive disadvantage.
Sal Risalvato of the New Jersey Gasoline, Convenience, Automotive Association said the protest was aimed at raising consumer awareness about the challenges facing Lukoil dealers and to get Lukoil to respond to dealer grievances.
He said Lukoil engages in various practices that force franchisees to pay higher prices for their fuel than competitors. It is not uncommon for Lukoil dealers to see a competitor selling gas to the public for considerably less than what they’re paying Lukoil for their latest delivery, he said.
“We were all at a breaking point,” Risalvato said.
The New York offices of Lukoil North America said a spokesman was not available to respond to questions about the dispute, and a request by email for comment was not immediately returned.
Lukoil is Russia’s second-largest oil producer. The first Lukoil-branded service stations in the U.S. opened in 2003 and today the company has more than 500 in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.
The gas station association said the high prices were meant to get the attention of customers so they know the price pressures Lukoil dealers are facing.
Gas stations taking part in the protest were planning to hand out fliers to customers explaining why they are struggling to keep down prices and to hang banners asking customers to contact Lukoil.
“They essentially sell the very same gasoline to stations in close proximity of each other at different prices in order to game the market and compete with other gasoline brands,” Risalvato said. “In doing so, the price may differ by as much as 25 cents a gallon, and place one retailer and the retailer’s customers at an enormous disadvantage over another station.”
But Risalvato said the dealers’ complaints go beyond that.
“No matter what the market conditions are on a particular day, Lukoil’s prices are higher than just about every retail competitor,” he said.
Risalvato said the decision to protest began with New Jersey dealers but station owners in Pennsylvania also said they wanted to join in when they heard about the effort.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon